Thursday, November 5, 2009

About the Name

The potentially pretentious name of this blog has a back story. In researching a number of science/faith issues, I've adopted a particular frame of mind which is best summed up by this statement:

If believing the truth about one thing leads me to uncertainty about another, so be it. I would rather be uncertainly right than certainly wrong.

I've found that many people of my faith (Evangelical Christian) seem to employ a different approach, best captured by this:

I cannot accept something as true if it will lead me to uncertainty about things of which I am certain. So, regardless of how true that something may seem, I know that it can't be true (so it isn't).

I call this the argument from implication, and I've been discouraged by how often I hear it. One of my goals in this blog is to explore issues without first considering the implications, but rather considering evidence, or simply being honest.

I expect to fail. I expect to be wrong. But that's precisely why I'm dispensing my ramblings in this forum.

James

-- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment